Nigerian Concord Newspaper
As a result of the pressure from the Benue state chapter of the People’s Democratic Party, the governor of the state, Hyacinth Alia this evening rolled out plans for partial disbursement and distribution of the N5b and trucks of food items which had been released to the state some days ago.
Recall that the Benue’s major opposition party through its State Publicity Secretary, Mr Bemgba Iortyom today raised an alarm over the whereabout of the palliatives released to the state by the federal government some days ago.
The party was worried that Governor Alia had been mute ever since the money and trucks of food items were released to him from Abuja.
Shortly after the press release by the PDP to challenge him over his sudden silence since he received the money, Governor Alia came public to explain how he plans to utilize parts of the palliatives.
He said the State Government will use the funds to achieve the following:
1. Register WAEC and NECO examinations for graduating students in all government approved secondary schools in the state for the 2023/2024 academic year.
2. Provide intensive computer and ICT training for 2000 youth of the state to enable them acquire jobs within and outside the state.
3. Provide grants to five thousand (5000) women in the state based on revised social register of the women cooperatives.
4. Purchase one hundred new buses for the state owned transport company – Benue Links to provide services to the people of the state at a subsidize rate.
5. Provide shuttle buses in the three major towns of Makurdi, Gboko, and Otukpo to ease movement within the towns.
6. Pay one month pension arrears to state and local government retirees.
7. Provide food items like rice in large quantity to each of the 23 Local Government Areas in the state, amongst other things.